Teaching Trauma Sensitive Meditation
Yoga Alliance CEUs: 6.5 non-contact hours
This is a five-hour webinar based course that prepares certified yoga and meditation teachers to work in military communities with active duty service members, veterans, family members, professional caregivers and civilian staff. This course is one of the requirements for certification as a Warriors at Ease yoga and/or meditation teacher.
The course is based on the increasing evidence that shows how meditation can be an effective adjunct treatment in regulating the Autonomic Nervous System, making practitioners more resilient and helping them heal from the effects of extreme stress trauma.
Warriors At Ease Level 1 course Fundamentals of Teaching Yoga & Meditation in Military Communities
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for certified meditation teachers (or those experienced with teaching meditation) as well as certified yoga teachers who have already completed Warriors at Ease Level 1 Training. This course is appropriate for anyone who wishes to teach in populations who have experienced trauma, sexual assault, combat stress, and/or those suffering from PTSD or TBI. We welcome teachers from Insight Meditation, iRest® Yoga Nidra, MBSR, Transcendental Meditation, Vipassana and other meditation traditions.
You will learn:
- What meditation is and how to introduce it in a military community
- How meditation practices can counteract the impact of stress and trauma on the brain
- How different styles of meditation (i.e. mindfulness, iRest® yoga nidra, transcendental meditation) may best serve a military/veteran population
- Guidelines for adapting specific meditation practices for military populations, particularly those that have experienced trauma, including PTS and TBI
- Research on meditation and why it is a potential adjunct treatment for PTS, TBI and other combat related conditions
- Specific recommended practices and scripts for leading meditation
Requirements to earn a Certificate of Completion for this course (and continue to next level of training):
- Attend 2 webinar classes (live or recorded)
- Participate in 1 discussion group with Warriors at Ease faculty
- Complete written homework submit within 30 days of assignment
Meditation Certification Track
Completing this course prepares you for Level 3 Warriors at Ease Training.
Yoga & Meditation Certification Track
Completion of this course contributes to completion of the Level 2 certification track.
You will need to take Advanced Teaching Skills for Combat-Related Injuries next if you haven’t done so.